Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What's up with the Doyles lately?

Well, It's been a while since I've blogged. I've been really busy, and you'll see why.

Devin's started Soccer. He has a love hate relationship with it. He loves Soccer, but he hates it when no one kicks the ball to him. If any one's ever watched preschoolers play soccer before, you know that that never happens. It's a free-for-all, every-man-for-himself kind of game where the ball gets kicked in the general direction of the goal by everyone on your team, (and sometimes the other team too) with hopes that it will go in. Devin just wants someone to pass him the ball once in a while! What makes it worse is when the weather's bad. then he just wants to go home. Never the less, he insisted that I sign him up again. We'll see how it goes this season.
I have been tirelessly getting Quotes for our Yard. I got at least 3 different quotes for the sprinklers and grass, 2 for a concrete RV parking place, and 4 or 5 for Fencing. We've finally settled on a landscaper who gave us a great deal, and is going to match the best price I got on the fencing. It really pays to shop around! Right now our yard is dull and blah, and full of dirt and weeds. In 3 weeks it will be private, green, and beautiful! Why, might you ask, do we not do our own sprinklers and grass, and put up our fence by ourselves? Well, I've come to the realization that John's time and sanity is worth more to us than it would cost to have someone else do the yard. We are going to do a lot of it ourselves, though, like fixing up the waterfall, and pond in the front. We'll be doing all the tree and shrub planting as the budget permits, and we're going to put down gravel and wood chips in certain areas. I bet you can't tell I'm excited. It will be nice to let the kids go out to play without worrying that they'll go in the road, or get dirt or mud all over themselves. And If we did it all ourselves, it would take all summer and then some! This way we can enjoy the yard this year. These are before pictures obviously. After photos coming in a few weeks!
Another project we've been working on: We've been getting quotes on water softeners. We had people come from all types of companies, and we finally settled on going down to Lowes. We bought the water softener and filtration system there, and then we had them install it (just yesterday)!!!!!!!!! It was less expensive that way. I can not tell you how awful our water has been. It's so bad, that if you run the dishwasher with clear glasses in it, they come out cloudy white like frosted glass. Just washing your hands is a chore, cause if you leave any water on the counter it will cause a white cloud. And our beautiful brown tiled shower has gone gray with all the hard water build up. I love our new water system.

John has finished our Cold Storage room. He's been working on it here and there off and on for a little while, but one week when I took off
to my Mom and Dad's for a few nights, He finished the shelves. The kids helped him paint them and then we stocked them with what we had. We have plenty of room for whatever we might need and then some, plus we worked in room for a few large water barrels. John's so proud of it, and he should be! He wired the lights, sheet rocked the ceiling, painted the ceiling and the concrete, and then built the shelves all by him self. It's awesome!


Devin loves to paint. Erin helped too, but I wasn't there for that.


Two cute helpers!




These pictures are of my cutie Colin. I just couldn't resist putting them on the blog!




7 comments:

vicki said...

There it is! Wow! You guys have been busy! You will be so thrilled when you have a grassy fenced in backyard. We LOVE ours! One of my friends said that there is an unmistakable freedom in confining your kids. So true!

Andrea said...

I love that cold storage room!!!!! You are going to love having your yard finished. Then the kids can't run away. I'm sure your kids don't do that! It's just mine! Good luck

Rebecca said...

I want one of those storage rooms. Where is that, in the basement?

Marcy said...

yeah, It's a concrete room built under the front porch. It stays really cold even in the summer!

Jeff and Risae Carlson said...

The storage room look fabulous. Good job John. I don't get why you want grass though. Don't you love kids covered in mud and dirt and mud and dirt and mud and dirt???

Unknown said...

I love your storage room! I LOVE IT!!!!! So nice to have. I cannot believe how busy your family is right now. Lots of work. It will all pay off. Then you have to find something new to do!

Valerie S said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you to get all those things done in and around the house. Now you can enjoy the storage room and yard before your kids are teenagers (this is a bitter reference to my life LOL). I can't beleive how old Colin looks! Wow, it seems like he was just crawling around! And I had to laugh at your socor experience. Mike was the only one I let play soccor. He hated running and never got to kick the ball either. and I thought it was boring to watch (sorry soccor fans). Baseball is better.